3 Apr 2025

Western Springs Speedway appealing Auckland Council decision to move location

6:10 pm on 3 April 2025
Western Springs Speedway

Western Springs Speedway protest. Photo: James Selwyn

The Western Springs Speedway Association is taking legal action against Auckland Council to stop it from moving speedway from its home of almost 100 years.

Last year, the council voted to move speedway from Western Springs to Onehunga's Waikaraka Park.

The council would spend $11 million on upgrading Waikaraka Park - the home of stock and saloon car racing - to host speedway from the 2025-2026 summer season.

Western Springs Speedway Association confirmed to RNZ that it had filed for judicial review at the High Court in Auckland to appeal the decision on Thursday.

"Representing over 1000 members from the sport and community, the Association has filed at the High Court for judicial review.

"Several councillors have already expressed the view that they would have voted in favour of speedway staying at Western Springs, had they been presented the correct and relevant information."

Western Springs Speedway

Western Springs has been the The Western Springs Speedway Associations home for almost 100 years. Photo: James Selwyn

In a statement, the association said its formal complaints to the council over what it claimed were breaches of process and legal obligations to consult with affected parties had been ignored.

It said its level of support for the move was completely misrepresented by the council's governing body.

"Fabricated and tampered documents were used in the decision-making process to suggest a level of support for the move from Western Springs to Waikaraka Park that does not exist.

"Individuals linked to these fabrications were permitted to exert an undue influence over the process with little or no apparent oversight from those in positions of authority.

"Senior management within TAU [Tātaki Auckland Unlimited] and Council as well as the mayoral department were all aware of what has transpired but at no stage have intervened to restore some credibility to behaviour that can only be characterised as biased and predetermined.

"The governing body of the sport (Speedway NZ) was completely misrepresented and a letter of support they provided for upgrades was presented as support for "consolidation". They were left out of decisions affecting the future of the sport, by TAU, Council, and the promotion that council has appointed "custodian" of the sport at Waikaraka."

Western Springs Speedway

A spokesperson for the council says they have not yet been served. Photo: James Selwyn

The association also claimed TAU refused to release figures including revenue, expenditure and attendance showing Waikaraka Park was a better option for speedway, and that councillors made their decision without them.

A spokesperson for the council said they had not yet been served, but would not comment on proceedings that are before the court.

Mayor Wayne Brown also declined to comment.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs

We have regular online commentary of local and international sport.