5 Apr 2025

Government to allow bigger granny flats to be built without consents

5:06 pm on 5 April 2025
Table and chairs on the terrace of a flat in summer.

Photo: 123rf

The government is increasing the maximum size of granny flats allowed to be built without consents, as part of changes to be introduced to make it easier for people to build standalone dwellings on their properties.

Last year, the government proposed to allow granny flats of up to 60 square metres to be built without building or resource consents.

An amendment to the Building Act in the middle of this year would permit granny flats to be build without a consent if they have a simple design and meets the Building Code, is built by authorised professionals, and works are notified to the local council before building commences and after completion.

Public consultation between June and August received nearly 2000 submissions.

On Saturday, a joint statement issued by the minister of housing and RMA reform, the minister for building and construction, and the associate minister of finance, said the earlier proposal will be taken further to increase the maximum size to 70 square metres.

Housing Minister Chris Bishop said the changes will make it faster and more affordable to build granny flats, which would provide families with more housing options - particularly for grandparents, people with disabilities, young adults and workers in the rural sector.

Chris Bishop

Housing Minister Chris Bishop. Photo: RNZ / Samuel Rillstone

"We know increasing housing availability directly translates to lower living costs for our communities," he said.

"A new National Environmental Standard (NES) under the RMA will be developed and in place by the end of this year to give effect to our proposals, timed to take effect with changes to the Building Act.

"This NES will require all councils to permit a granny flat on sites in rural and residential zones without the need to gain a resource consent."

Building and Construction Minister Chris Penk said removing regulatory barriers is a critical part of increasing housing supply for New Zealanders.

"We have carefully considered the feedback to make sure the path forward strikes the right balance between enabling housing growth and managing risks," he said.

The changes form part of New Zealand First and National's coalition agreement, to amend the Building Act and resource consenting system to make it easier to build granny flats or other small structures.

Associate Minister of Finance Shane Jones said he's delighted with the proposal coming to fruition.

"In the Far North I saw how extended family often live together at the same property. Changing the rules to make it easier to build more family accommodation allows generational living at an affordable price," he said.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs