Flooding in Kāeo, Northland, during storms. Photo: RNZ/ Peter de Graaf
Severe weather warnings were in place for lots of the country, as heavy rain continues to hit parts of the North Island, but the worst appears to be over for the top of the South Island.
MetService lifted most of its heavy rain warnings and watches for the North Island and top of the South Island about 8pm Friday.
An orange heavy rain warning remains in force for parts of Bay of Plenty.
Metservice said the heaviest rain was expected to affect the eastern Bay of Plenty, where an orange heavy-rain warning was in place until 11pm tonight. It warned streams and rivers could rise rapidly, causing surface flooding and slips.
The top of the South Island and the West Coast had heavy rainfall overnight, with a deep low crossing the Tasman Sea. An orange rain warning was in place for Tasman, northwest of Motueka, but lifted at noon.
Earlier Friday, several people were rescued, when their car was stuck in floodwaters north of Nelson. Fire and Emergency was alerted to occupants trapped in a vehicle on a Kokorua Road, between Nelson and Rai Valley, just before midday.
Fire and Emergency was alerted to occupants trapped in a vehicle on a Kokorua Road, between Nelson and Rai Valley. Photo: FENZ
Four fire crews and a specialist swift water rescue team responded, and freed the two people from the car, which was in about a metre of water, shortly before 1pm on Friday. St John said three people were assessed and treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Tasman district councillor Chris Hill said Golden Bay managed to escape any serious damage, despite the deluge over the past few days.
Golden Bay ward councillor Hill said close to 400mm of rain fell on her property east of Tākaka between Wednesday night and Friday morning. She was pleased to know extra Fire and Emergency personnel had been sent up from Christchurch as a precaution.
In Northland, some areas received more than 100mm overnight and the heavy rain continued this morning, with flooding reported in some areas. An orange heavy rain warning for the region lifted at 1pm.
On Friday morning, an emergency housing complex in the Far North flooded, with families temporarily relocated as a precaution.
Fire and Emergency was called to the transitional housing facility, operated by iwi organisation Te Rūnanga o Whaingaroa.
A Kerikeri Fire Brigade spokesman said 4-5 rooms had flooded to a depth of 300mm, damaging personal property.
Te Rūnanga o Whaingaroa chief executive Tumuaki Bree Davis said it was supporting the affected whānau, with their safety being the top priority.
In Auckland, a heavy rain watch remains in place until 8pm Friday.
All Gulf Harbour ferries were cancelled, with replacement buses running, and power cuts were reported around the region.
Due to the heavy rain, some sports groups had already cancelled fixtures, due to saturated grass.